Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Family Letter... at last!


Dear Family,
So, I've never written on a blog before. I know... I'm a little behind the times, but I'm really just a little behind ALL of the time (although I don't really have a little behind... hahaha). I actually have a Facebook account, but can't remember the last time I visited it. And the only reason I have one at all is so I can occasionally check in on what's going on in the lives of my kids! Things always seem to be crazy around our house.
As I glanced over the recently posted letters I noticed the beautiful pictures of gardens and produce... our garden has once again produced very little. I guess it's the Colorado weather? or the soil? or maybe just inattentive caretakers? I just picked our first three slightly mushy tomatoes from our extremely large but ugly tomato plants. We also managed a little basil, and we have two pretty gnarly pumpkins, one of which is actually turning orange. I think it's supposed to freeze this week, so I think it's almost time to pull everything up and decide once again if we should put up a shed on our garden plot. For some reason I always hold out hope in the spring that THIS will be our killer garden year.
We just returned from visiting Britta in Provo this past weekend. It was fun to meet her roommates and some of her friends. She had a lot going while we were there (work, school, 2 tests...) so we only added to the schedule, but it was fun to attend the game and spend some time on the BYU campus. Britta and Sam are in the same ward and live right across the street from each other, so it's nice to know that she has a cousin close by.
We love hearing from Taylor each week as he serves in Mexico... he has had some challenges, but seems to be able to keep a positive attitude and is learning so much. If you want to see pictures or read some of his letters, you can go to missionsite.net and search "Syddall."
Lexee is cheerleading at her school again this year, which keeps her super busy. It's actually her birthday today, and her schedule is so loaded, we are still trying to figure out how we can celebrate with her today. She will be getting her drivers license within the month, so we are all looking forward to that momentous day. It will be wonderful for her to have the ability to get herself to all her practices and games... not to mention to have an extra driver for those times when I need some assistance. She is also excited to get her braces off...the ortho says November.
Shilo just started participating on a year-round swim team. She hasn't had a meet yet, but is practicing three times a week. She is in eighth grade and is enjoying school. Mauri just started piano lessons and is currently our only child in elementary school and on a year-round schedule. She is off-track right now, which comes with it's blessings and curses. She is in 3rd grade, so she still has a while before getting on a schedule with the other girls. Our school district is currently deciding whether or not to put the 6th graders in the middle school with the 7th and 8th graders. I think it's pretty much a done deal, so that will put her on a traditional schedule a year earlier.
Bill started a new job in April and is enjoying it except for the 48-mile commute one-way. We are hoping that he will eventually be working closer to home (maybe in a year or so). I feel like life is as busy as ever, even with only 3 children currently at home... I must be doing it wrong!
Enjoy the beautiful Fall weather... it's my favorite!
Tina

No comments: